WBA College Prep Calendars
College Prep Team Calendars:
17U - 15U
WBA College Preparation Program
|Walbeck Baseball Academy proudly introduces our College Preparation Program (CPP), founded on the belief that all high school baseball players can achieve the next level with proper training and guidance.
To further these beliefs, WBA has assembled a unique blend of academic and athletic trainers, coaches and advisers to provide athletes with the training, education, resources and encouragement they need to advance from high school level baseball to college baseball.
|CPP is designed to accomplish the following objectives:
1. Offer high school age players high level competition that provides exposure to college coaches and recruiters.
2. Educate and prepare high school age players and their parents to the college recruiting process.
3. Teach, counsel and instruct players in both their academic and athletic pursuits.
4. Promote the athlete to college coaches and recruiters, coinciding with the athlete's academic and athletic ability.
How CPP will achieve these objectives:
1. Players will receive extensive training, coaching and instruction in all areas of the game from the WBA College Prep staff.
2. Players will play in 35-45 high level competition games and tournaments selected by WBA College Prep Staff to ensure maximum exposure to college coaches and recruiters.
3. Players and parents will receive academic counseling, athletic counseling and extensive education in the college recruiting process from WBA staff.
4. Players will have access to our vast network of college coaches and recruiters to help find that "right fit" for all athletes.
College Preparation Program Staff
CPP Director: Tom Lininger, Esq
Tom holds a BA degree from Kent State University and a JD from the University of the Pacific's McGeorge School of Law.
He is the principal of the Law Offices of Thomas D. Lininger & Associates where as a player agent he has advised and represented the interests of high school, college and professional baseball players in their relationships with their MLB clubs including the New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Miami Marlins, Boston Red Sox and many others.
In addition, for the last seven years Tom has served as the Managing Partner of the Marysville Gold Sox baseball club, a nationally ranked college summer wood bat club based in Marysville, CA.
The Gold Sox have built relationships with over 90 colleges and university baseball programs, sending over 300 of their players to Marysville.
These schools include Arizona, Cal, Stanford, Harvard, Fresno State, Cal State Fullerton, Oregon State, Sacramento State and over 80 other NCAA Division I, II, III, NAIA and JUCO programs nationwide. In that same time, the Gold Sox have put over 60 of these players into professional baseball.
Tom will oversee the coordination of the program, including academic counseling, player and parent college recruiting education and assistance and college placement assistance.
CPP Baseball Director: Matt Walbeck
With over 25 years of professional baseball experience, including 12 at the major league level as a player and coach with the Cubs, Twins, Tigers, Angels, Phillies & Rangers, Matt has the unique perspective of having been to the “top of the baseball mountain.”
As a product of those 25 years in professional baseball, Matt is in the MLB fraternity which includes numerous former MLB players and coaches who are now coaching at the college level, including Darrin Erstad (Nebraska), Larry Casian (University of Portland), Ed Sprague (Pacific) and various other former major league players.
Over the past 5 years Matt and WBA have helped players reach their dream of college and professional baseball by instructing players who have gone on to play at Yale, Oregon State, Sacramento State, St. Mary's and numerous other colleges as well as into professional baseball.
Matt, a past selection by Baseball American for their prestiges "Minor League Manager of the Year" award will oversee the coaching, on-field baseball instruction, and college placement for the program
CPP Special Advisor: John Smith
After 32 seasons at the helm of Sacramento State’s baseball program, John Smith retired with 879 victories as the winningest head coach in school history.
Under Smith, Sacramento State battled for a spot in the NCAA Tournament down to the final weeks of the 1991, 1992, 1993 and 1998 seasons. Since taking over the program in November of 1978, Smith has produced 16 winning seasons, including 11 years with at least 30 wins and four years with at least 40 wins.
A strong recruiter, baseball tactician and program administrator, Smith took the 1988 Hornets to the finals of the NCAA Division II World Series. He has led the Hornets to NCAA postseason appearances four times during his tenure, winning two regional crowns and two trips to the NCAA Div. II Championships.
Smith was named the American Baseball Coaches Association/NCAA Western Regional Coach of the Year twice, in 1986 and in 1988. Sacramento State won the NCAA Division II Regionals in 1986 and 1988, advancing to the College World Series both years. In 1986, the Hornets finished third at the College World Series, and in 1988, Sacramento State lost to Florida Southern, 5-4, in 12 innings, in the final game to finish as the national runner-up.
Besides his NCAA West Regional Coach of the Year honors, Smith has been named Sacramento State Coach of the Year twice, in 1981 and 1986, and Sacramento Hall of Fame Coach of the Year four times. Among his other honors, Smith was selected to coach a team of collegiate all-stars that toured Czechoslovakia on a 10-week goodwill tour in the summer of 1992.
Coach Smith will be a special advisor to Directors Walbeck and Lininger.
* Showcase your Talent
* Exposure to 50+ Colleges/Universities
* Access to top Recruiters/Coaches
* High Level Competition
* Professional Athletic Training
* Explore the Mental Game of Baseball
* Academic Advising / SAT Preparation
* College Placement Assistance
* Position Yourself for Success